<< FRONT HUB >>
The front hub design is elegantly simple compared to the complexities of a rear hub. However, it provides crucial stiffness and stability to the front wheel, felt especially during cornering, sprinting hard, or climbing out of the saddle.
he DS1 front hub has a strong 15mm diameter hardened axle while the DS-1D has a massive 17mm diameter thru’axle , eliminating flex. The distances & the P.C.D. of the flanges provide wide bracing spoke angles for lateral wheel stiffness and stability. Precise hub adjustment is easily achieved with the pre-load threaded collar to optimise bearing stiffness. Lastly, the DS front hub shell is thicker for added strength and stiffness.
<< REAR HUB >>
A cold-forged hub shell makes it both tougher and stronger.
Our oversized axles withstand any flex under huge pressures, while our high load bearings perform efficiently even under strong pedal load.
The freehub’s German-made sleeve bearings have superior load spreading compared to ball bearings.
- Front hub flanges are designed for extra-wide bracing angles.
- Rear hub flanges balance the optimal tension ratio vs bracing angle.
- A wider spoke bracing angle (see pictures) forms a virtual triangle with a wider base and improves the stability of the wheel.
- Since the DS flange is limited by the cassette freehub, we designed it to move away from the centre line as much as we can since every millimetre count.
- However, as the left flange moves away from the centre line, the left spokes’ tensions decrease proportionally while keeping the wheel dished.
- The left flange is placed at a distance to balance of bracing angle vs tension ratio.
STIFFNESS// Quality of the parts not to bend under load
- Rear hub oversized axle with added diameters at critical juncture between hub shell & free hub reduces cantilevering flex
- Rear axle diameter (Left - 17mm - 18mm - 20mm - 17mm - Right)
- Oversized bearings provide continual performance under load
- German-made sleeve bearings at inner free hub has ultra low coefficient of friction, high wear resistance and virtually unbreakable under all riding conditions
SMOOTHNESS// not impeded by creating friction; smooth / low drag.
- The ultra-low friction drive mechanism has been uniquely designed with magnetic pawls and a 42 point ratchet ring.
- 2 x 2 magnetic pawls provide super fast engagements
- 4.28 degrees engagement
- Low friction & high wear resistance sleeve bearings
- High precision chromium steel bearings
Wheel Angel's Review
Velotechnic hubs are designed by us and they are formed as a sub-brand of Wheel Angel. It sounds irony to review ourselves to you. So we explain the reason behind the creation of these hubs. It is almost every wheel builder's dream to design and make a product to rival the goliath brands in terms of performance. From riding and building numerous wheelsets to servicing and reading about many different hubs from around the world, we come to identify a few principal features that should be incorporated in a hubset. That being, Strength, Stiffness, Stability and Smoothness as explained above. These qualities when found in a hub set, can be built into a pair of competitive performance wheelset.PROs:
- Lowest drag hubs without ceramic bearings. Long sustained speeds during freewheeling saving watts and energy especially useful for bike legs in Triathlons & Ironman
Big diameter rear axles with 18/20mm at hubshell & freehub juncture to resist the 2 bodies cantilevering. Bearings continue to maintain its performance when they are not subjected to overloads from a flexing axle.
- Ease of serviceability with no special tools needed
- Use standard size bearings
- Near instant engagement with special ratchet ring and pawls design
- Bearing preload setter for front & rear hub
- Available in 2:1 triplet lacing
- Value for money for Cost vs Performance